How to create optimized territories using Account and Sales information from a territory dataset.
The Territory Optimizer will help speed up the process to create balanced territories that can be built on ZIP Code Tabulation Areas or counties.
To create optimized territories:
- Select the territory tab and select create new.
- Select create from file and select the file that outlines your current territories.
- The regional dataset your territory will be based on (if creating hierarchical territories check include hierarchy and select the number of levels).
- The corresponding column in your dataset to match the regional dataset.
- The territory identifier such as the territory owner of regional location.
- When the territory manager has loaded, select add data and navigate to your account, sales or leads data (this will be the data used to create balanced territories).
- Select optimize territories to open the territory optimizer window.
- First select the number of territories you wish to create. This number should be based on the number of sales reps you have.
- Next select a balance you wish to create your territories based on:
- If you have not already created a balance, select add balance.
- You will be prompted to create a balance from your account dataset, such as the account count or potential sales value.
- If you select account count this will create territories with an equal number of accounts in them.
- If you select potential sales value this will create territories with equal sales values.
- Select complete to be brought back to the territory optimizer window.
- Select complete and your territories will be equally divided based on your chosen balance.
Choose a Territory Center Dataset:
If you wish to ensure your territories are geographically optimized according to the location of your salespeople’s home or office locations, you can add a territory center dataset. This is a separate dataset that displays your salespeople home or office locations.
To create optimized territories based on your rep or office locations:
- Select the add data button.
- Add your salespersons home or office locations dataset from your library or by uploading as a new dataset.
- Select optimize territories and ensure that your territory center dataset is selected in the choose a territory center dropdown.
- Select complete to create your optimized territories.
Note: If you select a dataset to use as your territory centers your number of territories will automatically be changed to match the number of office/salesperson locations.
Use Road Network:
Use Road Network allows you to create territories based on drive time rather than straight line distances (the default optimizing option).
This prevents ZCTA’s or counties being assigned to a territory when they appear near a center point but are really a significant driving distance away. Using the drive time network also takes into account bridges and bodies of water.