How to create brand new optimized territories using Account and Sales information.
The Territory Optimizer will help speed up the process to create balanced territories that can be built on ZIP Code Tabulation Areas or counties.
To create optimized territories:
- Select the territory tab and select create new.
- Select create manually and the new territory window will display.
- Select ZIP Code Tabulation Areas (ZCTA’s) or US Counties as your regional dataset and select complete.
- When the territory manager has loaded, select add data and navigate to your account, sales or leads data (this will be the data used to create balanced territories).
- To create optimized territories you first need to establish an area you wish to create your optimized territories in. To do this select add territory and using the bulk assign polygon tool add the entire area that you will to create your territories in.
- Select optimize territories to open the territory optimizer window.
- First select the number of territories you wish to create. This number should be based on the number of sales reps you have.
- Next select a balance you wish to create your territories based on:
- If you have not already created a balance, select add balance.
- You will be prompted to create a balance from your account dataset, such as the account count or potential sales value.
- If you select account count this will create territories with an equal number of accounts in them.
- If you select potential sales value this will create territories with equal sales values.
- Select complete to be brought back to the territory optimizer window.
- Select complete and your territories will be equally divided based on your chosen balance.
Choose a Territory Center Dataset:
If you wish to ensure your territories are geographically optimized according to the location of your salespeople’s home or office locations, you can add a territory center dataset. This is a separate dataset that displays your salespeople home or office locations.
To create optimized territories based on your rep or office locations:
- Select the add data button.
- Select upload new data.
- Navigate to your office/rep location dataset and add it to the territory manager.
- Select optimize territories and ensure that your territory center dataset is selected in the choose a territory center dropdown.
- Select complete to create your optimized territories.
Note: If you select a dataset to use as your territory centers your number of territories will automatically be changed to match the number of office/salesperson locations.
Use Drive Time Network:
Drive time allows you to create territories based on drive time rather than straight line distances. This will prevent ZCTA’s from being assigned to a territory when they appear near a center point but are really a significant driving distance away.